2018: Central Bank of Ireland will release €15 Silver Proof Rory Gallagher Coin.
As part of the new Modern Irish Musicians Series this coin will commemorate the 70th anniversary of Rory Gallagher’s birth in 1948. The coin will be launched in summer 2018 with an issue limit of 3,000 pieces. This will be the first coin in a three year series called ‘Modern Irish Musicians.’ The other coins in this series will be issued to honour Phil Lynott in 2019 and Luke Kelly in 2020.
Tributes in Cork
|Rory Gallagher Place and memorial sculpture|
|Cork Corporation is planning to call the music section of the City Library the Rory Gallagher Library (as reported by The Examiner, Cork, Nov 23, 1995).|
|Rory Gallagher's birthplace is marked with the erection of a commemorative plaque|
|The Rory Gallagher Bar|
|Crowley's Music Centre|
|Rory's Grave (see News 25th Feb 1997 and Top-priority website)|
|Rory Gallagher Corner|
Avenue Rory Gallagher in Paris3rd November 1995: a Rory tribute evening at Le Plan, Ris Orangis, Paris (Rory played a one off at the club to help them celebrate their 10th Anniversary last December) where the town council have renamed the road of the venue Avenue Rory Gallagher.
Music dedicated to Rory
- Paul Fenton's album "The Bleedin' Hearts, Seconds to Go" (1996, European release only) was dedicated to the memory of Rory Gallagher
- The Victoria Warne Band's album "Live At The Savoy" (1999) includes two Rory's songs: "Follow Me" and "Alexis"
- The Boz Roz Band dedicated a song called "Gypsy Rover" on their album "Shadow of the Thunderbird".
- Barry Mc Cabe (BMC) dedicated a song to Rory on his album, "The Peace Within". The song is called "The Emigrant" and it features Davy Spillane.
- Dutch blues guitarist and singer Julian Sas dedicated a song to Rory on his album, A Smile to My Soul. The song is called Stone Desert
- Australian slide guitarist Dave Hole recorded Bullfrog Blues on his album, Ticket to Chicago (1997), as a tribute to Rory.
- 1997: German Band Don Promilla recorded "I don't know where I am going" (from Rory's album Deuce)
- October 1996, The New York based Irish-American group Black 47 have a track on their CD release, "Green Suede Shoes", called "Rory": a tribute to Rory.
- May 1996: Tribute tape organized by Rick Oppegaard.
- October 1996: Christy Moore has composed a new song dedicated to Rory. The song is called "Rory Is Gone (to Play the Blues in Heaven)". Here's more info.
- March 1996: A band from Holland, "The Juke Joints", release a live record (titled "One Two Five...Live") that is dedicated to the memory of Rory. Here's more details
- Marianne Murphy has written two songs to Rory: "Hero From The Emerald Isle" and "Empty Stage". "Hero From The Emerald Isle" was released in 1991 on her independently released CD called Tribute. "Empty Stage" was written after Rory's death. Here's Marianne's address (you'll have to contact her personally if you're interested in getting her CD)
- Chris Newman's tribute album to Rory Gallagher
- dedications: 'A Taste of Rory' tribute band was founded in July 2002. contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In Spain there is a group named Arima Beltza.
- Barry Mc Cabe: Absolutely Live Vol. 2
- Raw Gallagher: Rory Gallagher Tribute Band
- January 1996: The following book is dedicated to Rory: Pat Ingoldsby, "The Peculiar Sensation of Being Irish" (Killeen Publications, ISBN 1-873548-31-1, pp201, IR6.99). Here's a review of the book.
- November 1995. Inauguration of the Rory Gallagher Memorial Lecture as part of the R.T.C. Cork Arts Festival, with a lecture on Rory and His Music by Marcus Connaughton entitled "Etched in the Blues"
- June 1996: A personal tribute by Elliot Murphy.
- November 1995: A tribute in The Sonic Echo by Jay Siekierski.
- tribute by Roger Glover (Deep Purple's bass player and the producer of Calling Card. See also Roger's memories of that collaboration that he has written especially for the Rory Gallagher Page.)
- Virtual Irish Pub (tribute)
- A personal tribute by Tony McLean
- Blueprint magazine inscribed Rory Gallagher's name on the Blueprint Scroll of Honour after his death.
- HEINEKEN/HOTPRESS AWARDS for 1997
- HEINEKEN/HOTPRESS AWARDS for 1995: In the category RORY GALLAGHER ROCK MUSICIAN AWARD the shortlist is: Ray Harmon, The Edge, Van Morrison, Don Baker, Andy Cairns.
- Comic book artist Tim Truman is a Rory Gallagher fan. A beautiful drawing of Rory is featured on the cover of Truman's comic "Grim Jack" #4 (1984) and "Dragon Chang" mentions Rory in the dedication.
Previous tribute concerts/evenings
- March 2, 2002: Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
- November 3, 1995: Rory Tribute Evening at Le Plan, Ris Orangis, Paris. Featured Nine Below Zero and Rory videos.
- 15 June, 1996: Rock on Rory concert, Cork Opera House. Featured Padraig Carroll and his band Calling Card.
- June 23, 1996: Rockpalast Special, Loreley, Germany. The concert was subsequently broadcast on the German television network WDR, 28/29 September, 1996.
- November 20, 1996: Fender Guitar Celebration, as part of the RTC Cork Rory Gallagher Memorial Day, RTC Cork Arts Fest, in association with Heineken, at Crazy Horse Saloon, Washington St., Cork. Featured The Hellecasters with Jerry Donahoe, John Jorgensen, and Will Ray.
- November 30, 1996: Fender Rory Gallagher Tribute Concert, Wembley Conference Hall, London.
- February 9, 1997: Rory Gallagher Music Night, Lutjebroek, The Netherlands. (Performers will include: Rory Gallagher cover band, Jinx; also performing will be (guitars) Gerry McAvoy, Lou Martin, Samuel Eddy, Julian Sas, and (drums) Peter Kemp. Taste and Rory Gallagher Band videos will be shown on a wide screen. Merchandise will be on sale.)
- 1 March, 1997: Rory Gallagher Tribute night, at the Norgelbuff, Gottingen, Germany.
- The Bowling Green Carlsberg Blues Festival, which will take place in Cork on the June bank holiday weekend (May 31-June 2, 1997), will be dedicated to Rory.
- June 13, 1997: Rory Gallagher tribute at The Flint St. Social Club, Flint St., Edgley, Stockport, England. (For information contact Barry Barnes, 10 Claremont Range, Gorton, Manchester M18 7LT, England. Tel:0044- (0) 161-336-7953 or 2735511 or fax 2726033.)
- June 14 1997: Tribute to Rory in Belfast
- Sunday 5th October 1997: Buxton Tribute (Buxton Opera House, UK)
- 23rd january 1998, Geneva, Switzerland.
- June 13 1998: Rory Gallagher tribute in Belfast
- November 14 1998: As a part of the Cork Arts Festival November 14th is dedicated to Rory Gallagher with a multimedia concert
- February 27 1999: Rory Gallagher tribute concert at "Music Center Schaaf" Leeuwarden Holland
- August 20-22 1999: Swing99 in Belgium
- November 18 1999: Annual Rory Gallagher Memorial Lecture
- February 26 2000: Rory Gallagher Tribute 2000 in Leeuwaren Holland
- April 13 2000: Dukinfield 2000 tribute in Manchester, UK
- May 29, 2000: Tribute to Rory in "Music for the Millennium" series (BBC television)
- Sunday 29th October 2000: Belfast 2000 Tribute
- November 4, 2000: Rory Gallagher Tribute Concert in Wiesbaden, Germany. See also The Loop history
- November 12, 2000: Lutjebroek, The Netherlands
- March 3, 2001: Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Gallagher's Blues - Rory Gallagher Home Page