2018: Central Bank of Ireland will release €15
Silver Proof Rory Gallagher Coin.
As part of the new Modern Irish Musicians Series this coin will
commemorate the 70th anniversary of Rory Gallagher’s birth in 1948. The
coin will be launched in summer 2018 with an issue limit of 3,000
pieces. This will be the first coin in a three year series called
‘Modern Irish Musicians.’ The other coins in this series will be issued
to honour Phil Lynott in 2019 and Luke Kelly in 2020.
Tributes in Cork
Avenue Rory Gallagher in Paris
3rd November 1995: a Rory tribute evening at Le Plan, Ris
Orangis, Paris (Rory played a one off at the club to help them
celebrate their 10th Anniversary last December) where the town council
have renamed the road of the venue Avenue Rory Gallagher.
Music dedicated to Rory
- Paul Fenton's
Bleedin' Hearts, Seconds to Go" (1996, European release only) was
dedicated to the memory of Rory Gallagher
- The Victoria Warne Band's
album "Live At The Savoy" (1999) includes two Rory's songs: "Follow Me"
- The Boz Roz Band
dedicated a song called "Gypsy Rover" on their album "Shadow of the
- Barry Mc Cabe (BMC)
dedicated a song to Rory on his album, "The Peace Within". The song is
called "The Emigrant" and it features Davy Spillane.
- Dutch blues guitarist and singer Julian Sas
dedicated a song to Rory on his album, A Smile to My Soul.
The song is called Stone Desert
- Australian slide guitarist Dave Hole
recorded Bullfrog Blues on his album, Ticket to
Chicago (1997), as a tribute to Rory.
- 1997: German Band Don Promilla recorded "I don't know where
going" (from Rory's album Deuce)
- October 1996, The New York based Irish-American group Black 47 have a track on their CD
release, "Green Suede Shoes", called "Rory": a tribute to Rory.
- May 1996: Tribute tape
organized by Rick Oppegaard.
- October 1996: Christy Moore has composed a new song
Rory. The song is called "Rory Is Gone (to Play the Blues in Heaven)". Here's more info.
- March 1996: A band from Holland, "The Juke Joints",
release a live record (titled "One Two Five...Live") that is dedicated
to the memory of Rory. Here's more details
- Marianne Murphy has written two songs to Rory: "Hero From The Emerald Isle"
and "Empty Stage". "Hero From The
Emerald Isle" was released in 1991 on her independently released CD
called Tribute. "Empty Stage" was written after Rory's death. Here's Marianne's address (you'll have to contact
her personally if you're interested in getting her CD)
Newman's tribute album to Rory Gallagher
- dedications: 'A Taste of Rory' tribute band was founded in
2002. contact: email@example.com
- In Spain there is a group named Arima Beltza.
- Barry Mc Cabe:
Live Vol. 2
- Raw Gallagher: Rory
Gallagher Tribute Band
- February 1996: Touching tribute to Rory in a book: Ireland
Three Million Pounds a Day, by Declan Lynch. New Island Books. 200pp.
IR5.99 pb. 1-874597-29-4. The book is reviewed by Aubrey Malone, in
Books Ireland, No. 192, February, 1996, p.25.
- January 1996: The following book is dedicated to Rory: Pat
Ingoldsby, "The Peculiar Sensation of Being Irish" (Killeen
Publications, ISBN 1-873548-31-1, pp201, IR6.99). Here's a review of the book.
- November 1995. Inauguration of the Rory Gallagher Memorial
Lecture as part of the R.T.C. Cork Arts Festival, with a lecture on
Rory and His Music by Marcus Connaughton entitled "Etched in the Blues"
- June 1996: A personal tribute
- November 1995: A tribute in The Sonic Echo by Jay
- tribute by
Glover (Deep Purple's bass player and the producer of Calling Card. See also
Roger's memories of that collaboration that he has written especially
for the Rory Gallagher Page.)
Irish Pub (tribute)
tribute by Tony McLean
- Blueprint magazine
inscribed Rory Gallagher's name on the Blueprint Scroll of Honour after
- HEINEKEN/HOTPRESS AWARDS for 1997
- HEINEKEN/HOTPRESS AWARDS for 1995: In the category RORY
ROCK MUSICIAN AWARD the shortlist is: Ray Harmon, The Edge, Van
Morrison, Don Baker, Andy Cairns.
- Comic book artist Tim Truman is a Rory Gallagher fan. A
drawing of Rory is featured on the cover of Truman's comic "Grim Jack"
#4 (1984) and "Dragon Chang" mentions Rory in the dedication.
Previous tribute concerts/evenings
- March 2, 2002:
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
- November 3, 1995: Rory Tribute Evening at Le Plan, Ris
Paris. Featured Nine Below Zero and Rory videos.
- 15 June, 1996: Rock on Rory concert, Cork Opera House.
Padraig Carroll and his band Calling Card.
- June 23, 1996: Rockpalast Special, Loreley, Germany. The
was subsequently broadcast on the German television network WDR, 28/29
- November 20, 1996: Fender Guitar Celebration, as part of
Cork Rory Gallagher Memorial Day, RTC Cork Arts Fest, in association
with Heineken, at Crazy Horse Saloon, Washington St., Cork. Featured
The Hellecasters with Jerry Donahoe, John Jorgensen, and Will Ray.
- November 30, 1996: Fender Rory
Tribute Concert, Wembley Conference Hall, London.
- February 9, 1997: Rory Gallagher Music Night, Lutjebroek,
Netherlands. (Performers will include: Rory Gallagher cover band, Jinx;
also performing will be (guitars) Gerry McAvoy, Lou Martin, Samuel
Eddy, Julian Sas, and (drums) Peter Kemp. Taste and Rory Gallagher Band
videos will be shown on a wide screen. Merchandise will be on sale.)
- 1 March, 1997: Rory Gallagher Tribute night, at the
- The Bowling Green Carlsberg Blues Festival, which
take place in Cork on the June bank holiday weekend (May
31-June 2, 1997), will be dedicated to Rory.
- June 13, 1997: Rory Gallagher tribute at The Flint St.
Club, Flint St., Edgley, Stockport, England. (For information
contact Barry Barnes, 10 Claremont Range, Gorton, Manchester M18 7LT,
England. Tel:0044- (0) 161-336-7953 or 2735511 or fax 2726033.)
14 1997: Tribute to Rory in Belfast
- Sunday 5th October 1997: Buxton
Tribute (Buxton Opera House, UK)
- 23rd january 1998, Geneva, Switzerland.
- June 13 1998: Rory Gallagher tribute in Belfast
- November 14 1998: As a part of the Cork Arts Festival
14th is dedicated to Rory Gallagher with a multimedia concert
- February 27 1999: Rory
Gallagher tribute concert at "Music Center Schaaf" Leeuwarden Holland
- August 20-22 1999: Swing99
- November 18 1999: Annual
Gallagher Memorial Lecture
- February 26 2000:
Gallagher Tribute 2000 in Leeuwaren Holland
- April 13 2000: Dukinfield 2000 tribute in Manchester, UK
- May 29, 2000: Tribute to Rory
in "Music for the Millennium" series (BBC television)
29th October 2000: Belfast 2000 Tribute
- November 4, 2000: Rory
Gallagher Tribute Concert in Wiesbaden, Germany. See also The Loop history
- November 12, 2000: Lutjebroek,
- March 3, 2001:
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands